Wednesday, February 9, 2011

How Do You Speak with Love to a Thief?

Part of my new years resolution is to practice calm and relaxation in both my mind and body. In January I began going to a local yoga class and have been attempting a routine of stretching and meditating. Yesterday I decided to revisit the book, The Four Agreements by Miguel Ruiz. I want to adopt these words to live by, which I have been told is a tough challenge, but one with great rewards. The four agreements are:

Be Impeccable With Your Word
Speak with integrity. Say only what you mean. Avoid using the Word to speak against yourself or to gossip about others. Use the power of your Word in the direction of truth and love.

Don’t Take Anything Personally
Nothing others do is because of you. What others say and do is a projection of their own reality, their own dream. When you are immune to the opinions and actions of others, you won’t be the victim of needless suffering.

Don’t Make Assumptions
Find the courage to ask questions and to express what you really want. Communicate with others as clearly as you can to avoid misunderstandings, sadness and drama.

Always Do Your Best
Your best is going to change from moment to moment. Under any circumstance, simply do your best, and you will avoid self-judgment, self-abuse, and regret.

And then last night while I was out for dinner and drinks after class, my wallet was stolen.

Fuckers.

There were charges attempted in cities across Western Washington in a matter of ninety minutes. After I am done going through all of the swear words, hateful is the next that comes to mind. So how do I keep my speech impeccable when all I want to do is be loud and angry?

I want to teach them a lesson, but I feel I am the one that is learning a really shit stink of a lesson in calmness, in forgiveness, and in deep breathing.

No comments:

Post a Comment